My Navy Years

Monday, November 9, 2020

Five Special Years


I served three years on the USS Arcturus (AF-52), a refrigerator ship out of Norfolk, and one year on the USS Safeguard (ARS-25), a rescue salvage ship out of Pearl Harbor.  I also received nuclear power training and diving safety training.  On the Arcturus I was a Deck Officer and then Navigator, receiving promotions to Lieutenant Junior Grade and then Lieutenant.  On the Safeguard, I was Navigator and Executive Officer and was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat V for leadership while the ship was in Vietnam.  

These were special years, years of maturing, serving with great officers, and leading dedicated men younger and older than myself.  It was a great experience serving our country.  I enjoyed being at sea, but it was difficult to be away from my family.

Note:  It will take me time to develop these blogs so bear with me.  I will add experiences and info about the ships I served on, the people with whom I had the opportunity to serve, and some of the operations we participated in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment